So no FaceBook pictures the upload is not working!
It was a perfect day weatherwise. Warm and Beautiful! We started with a canal/harbor cruise. We saw the Royal Yacht and the Royal palace. (Denmark has the oldest continuous Monarchy in the world) We saw the Little Mermaid Statue (the most photograped site in Copenhagen). Her head was cut off twice! But they filled it with concrete so she's been intact since then. We saw her just before she got Shanghaied to China for a year in 2010. I think its a very sad statue.
The city was a bit crowded. I guess with perfect weather and a holiday weekend everybody was out. After the harbor cruise we had lunch at a Mediterranean restaurant. This country is the land of the buffets. Then we found Vor Freu Kirke (Church). This is where the original Christus statue is and statues of the 12 apostles. It was neat to see this because I remembered this conference talk: http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=0993558fcc599110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1
Here's the quote I remember (by Boyd K Packer)
In 1976 an area general conference was held in Copenhagen, Denmark. Following the closing session, President Spencer W. Kimball desired to visit the Vor Frue Church, where the Thorvaldsen statues of the Christus and of the Twelve Apostles stand. He had visited there some years earlier and wanted all of us to see it, to go there.
To the front of the church, behind the altar, stands the familiar statue of the Christus with His arms turned forward and somewhat outstretched, the hands showing the imprint of the nails, and the wound in His side very clearly visible. Along each side stand the statues of the Apostles, Peter at the front to the right and the other Apostles in order.
Most of our group was near the rear of the chapel with the custodian. I stood up front with President Kimball before the statue of Peter with Elder Rex D. Pinegar and Johan Helge Benthin, president of the Copenhagen stake.
In Peter’s hand, depicted in marble, is a set of heavy keys. President Kimball pointed to those keys and explained what they symbolized. Then, in an act I shall never forget, he turned to President Benthin and with unaccustomed firmness pointed his finger at him and said, “I want you to tell everyone in Denmark that I hold the keys! We hold the real keys, and we use them every day.”
I will never forget that declaration, that testimony from the prophet. The influence was spiritually powerful; the impression was physical in its impact.
To the front of the church, behind the altar, stands the familiar statue of the Christus with His arms turned forward and somewhat outstretched, the hands showing the imprint of the nails, and the wound in His side very clearly visible. Along each side stand the statues of the Apostles, Peter at the front to the right and the other Apostles in order.
Most of our group was near the rear of the chapel with the custodian. I stood up front with President Kimball before the statue of Peter with Elder Rex D. Pinegar and Johan Helge Benthin, president of the Copenhagen stake.
In Peter’s hand, depicted in marble, is a set of heavy keys. President Kimball pointed to those keys and explained what they symbolized. Then, in an act I shall never forget, he turned to President Benthin and with unaccustomed firmness pointed his finger at him and said, “I want you to tell everyone in Denmark that I hold the keys! We hold the real keys, and we use them every day.”
I will never forget that declaration, that testimony from the prophet. The influence was spiritually powerful; the impression was physical in its impact.
So that was cool to see those statues. That is what I love about art. It is timeless. You can visit a place or view a piece that moves you and you are connected with others over generations that have also been moved by that same piece.
After that we made our way to Tivoli. I also had Tom take my picture on the lap of Hans Christian Anderson!
Tivoli was fun. Half Disneyland Half Gardens. We rode two rides. Tom and I rode the "Minen" sort of like Splash Mountain (without the Splash) Then I rode the Star Flyer. Awesome! It was one of those swing rides that spin around and whip out out. I could see the whole city (and part of Sweden) Did I say how awesome it was? The teenager on the chair with me was totally scared. But while we were up there looking over the city he pointed out to me where I could go buy weed legally. Talk about random. I told him the rides were better than weed.
After Tivoli we made out way back to the Metro and collapsed at the Hotel.
Now it's off to D.C. I am so ready to be back in the US. It just feels familiar.

No comments:
Post a Comment